The Perfect Balance

I don't have the body I want.
The Perfect Body

In my mind, my body is inadequate and unfinished. I've thought that since as early as I was self conscious. I always had a perfect image of what I wanted to look like, but alas, I've never achieved it and never will.

However, I'm fine with that. Because many years ago I came to terms with the fact that I'm not willing to sacrifice what it takes to get the body I want.

It was a tough realization at first, but once I embraced it, it was a great weight off my shoulders.

I have struck that delicate balance between what I'm willing to do and how I'm willing to look.

I feel like this is the key to happiness; not having the perfect body, but having the body that suits you perfectly.

I do still strive for that impossible dream, every day. The way I keep myself on track, though, is to hold that ideal in my mind. I don't need to achieve it, but it is there as a guidepost. I can envision myself walking around in that body. The things I would do and wouldn't do are quite clear to me. And I have a pretty good idea about how people would act around me. It's pretty clear.  I can hear it and see it.  It moves and has sound and is in color.
This idealized vision of my fantasy self informs my decisions.

I don't always listen. Sometimes I listen to the long haired, pot bellied, stoner, high-school dropout in my psyche that wants to stay up late and eat junk food watching TV on the sofa. Ah what a life!! Pure comfort.

Because of my desire for that perfect body, I've spent many years trying to shut this dude out (among others vying for attention in this psycho-drama). But it was through communicating with the Comfort guy that I was able to accept that my body's inadequacies are my choosing. Not only that, but it is a sliding scale.  I know that the more I struggle and sacrifice, the closer I can get, and when I want to be fat and lazy, I can do that, too. But I choose somewhere in between and I love it.

In fact, when I want to, I could put in a whole lot of effort and focus and eventually have that body that I dream of. The key is, 'when I want to' bad enough.  And I'm just not that kind of guy. I like my pleasures and I don't like pain or suffering.... and you know what?  My body isn't that bad.
Good Enough For Me

I thought that having the perfect body would make me happy. But it wouldn't. It would be nice to have, but I wouldn't be happy because of all that is required to achieve it. Once I realized that it was the state of 'happy' that I was after and not 'perfect body' it was so much easier to find!

Putting the perfect body in perspective finally made me happy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Food Purist

Routines From the Vault

Nude Stretching