ROCKIN Milwaukee: Sixties-style

Today was a good day. It was nice not to pack up the car in the morning. River and I slept as late as we wanted and then got in the car to get some coffee at Starbucks and then we went to the park and played for about an hour.

We found a stick, because we seem to have lost or destroyed all but one of his toys. And the one toy we do have is a rope, which I don’t to play with outside because it gets too dirty and smelly.

But we still had a great time, running and chasing the stick and then I’d get River to chase me. We had the park all to ourselves. I learned a lesson; if you’re wearing long sleeves, don’t run with a half a cup of coffee in your hand unless you don’t mind stains on your sleeve.
After the park, we came back to the room for lunch and a shower.

I still had plenty of time before I had to be in Milwaukee for tonight’s class, so I sought out a pet supply store where I could get us some new toys. I found a good store that doesn’t sell animals, and that even partners with a local shelter to promote adoption. They had a great selection and we have fun picking out some new toys. River got a blue version of the green rubber boomerang that he loves so much. I don’t know what happened to his green one; we must have left it in a park somewhere. We also got a new kong. I can’t imagine how I lost the kong. Maybe we still have it amongst our things and it will turn up, but I couldn’t find it today, so I just got another one. And also, since he destroyed his stuffed armadillo so quickly, I had to replace his ‘bear’. We found a really funny skeleton toy with ropes for arms that he is going to have a great time tearing apart. I also got him a dog cookie. I found a cookie decorated to look like a 1960’s Love Child Flower. And since tonights Nia class had a 60’s theme, I had to get it.

After shopping, I wanted to play with our new toys and we still had over an hour before class, which was only 20 minutes away; so I took us to another park. And we played with the boomerang for a long time until he seemed to be tired. As I was getting him back in the car, he spotted the skeleton on the floor of the car where I keep all his things. He took the skeleton from the car and dragged it to the grass to commence destroying it. I grabbed it, because I wanted to go, and that started a little tug game. But I heard it tear a little bit so I stopped the game and vowed that the skeleton is not a tug toy, but just for him to ‘kill’. It will last longer that way. We have the rope and the boomerang for tugging.

So then it was time to go to class. Jill Campana and Carol L Dusold were my co-producers for this double header event. ROCKIN: The Sixties today and ROCKIN: The Seventies tomorrow.

My normal ROCKIN playlist combines the 60s and 70s:
White Rabbit    -    Jefferson Airplane
Wooden Ships-    Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young
Time    -        Pink Floyd   
Kashmir -        Led Zeppelin
Rock And Roll, Hoochie Koo-    Rick Derringer
Paranoid    -    Black Sabbath
(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction-    The Rolling Stones
Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite! & I Want You (She's So Heavy) & Helter Skelter    -  The Beatles   
Immigrant Song    -    Led Zeppelin
Highway Star    -    Deep Purple
Get Together-    The Youngbloods   
The Great Gig In The Sky    -    Pink Floyd
Beth    -    Kiss   

But for this event, I split the playlist up and added some more songs to fill it out, giving me a sixties playlist and a seventies playlist.

Tonight for ROCKIN: The Sixties, we played with:

White Rabbit   
Wooden Ships
Going Up The Country    -    Canned Heat   
The Mighty Quinn (Quinn the Eskimo)    -    Manfred Mann
White Room    -    Cream   
Everyday People    -Sly & The Family Stone   
Light My Fire    -    The Doors
Magic Carpet Ride    -    Steppenwolf   
(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction -    The Rolling Stones   
Spinning Wheel    -    Blood, Sweat & Tears
Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite! & I Want You (She's So Heavy) & Helter Skelter  -  The Beatles   
All Along The Watchtower    -    Jimi Hendrix   
Get Together    -    The Youngbloods
Forever Young (Single Version)    -    Joan Baez   

We had about twenty students in the room and it was ON FIRE! I had such a good time; they’re a really strong group. They knew their Nia movements, which makes teaching so much easier, and they were willing to freedance, which I love. At one point, I asked them to get on their hands and knees and howl at the full harvest moon, and they went crazy with it. I was impressed at the sound we made. (Later I found out that the group typically doesn’t like to make sounds, so after class Carol, their teacher, told them to get ready to howl on Tuesday when they met again. :)

Carol also presented River and I with a lovely gift bag filled with dog treats and a chew toy and for me there was a Green Bay Packers T-shirt, Packers chip clips and beer cozy and a schedule of packer games. (I guess Carol is a Packers fan?). I’ll wear my new shirt for tomorrow’s class, which will be many of the same people, since this couple of classes was promoted as a double-header event.

Many of us stuck around after class and partook in a snack party and talked and played with River. He was loving all the attention and the fact that the women loved giving him carrots and broccoli.

We came home and showered and ate and as I right this, River is already in bed, asleep. He’s had a very active day. As they say, a tired pup is a happy pup.  And now, I’m a tired pup, and have a full day planned tomorrow, so I’m going to bed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Food Purist

Routines From the Vault

Nude Stretching