Human Movement- Nato Alphabet series


The idea behind my Human Movement program is that consistency of movement is the most important aspect. Intensity isn’t as necessary as regularity. Skills are not required to get benefits from daily movements. Twice every day, I set aside at least ten minutes to move my body. Over the years I’ve embarked on many structured fitness or movement practice programs and have discovered that no matter what movements I’m practicing, I see results after I’ve been practicing consistently for several weeks. The problem is that I get bored of repetition or if I’m learning new skills, I progress to a certain point and then plateau and lose my motivation.

My solution is non structured daily recess time. I usually put music on for my sessions, and sometimes I dance to the music. But every time I practice Human Movement I am doing what my body wants. Some days I have a lot of energy and do a longer, more vigorous session, and other days I need gentle nurturing or healing and move accordingly that day. I never do more than I want to and I always feel better after my sessions.

I’ve been doing this for many years and have recently decided to start putting a sampling of my sessions online for people to use as motivation and inspiration to create their own Human Movement program.

The short videos you see below are previews of the longer videos available for purchase. They are not intended to be followed exactly but treated as if you were goofing around with a friend, dancing around, having fun, playing and sweating together. I describe each video and offer a peek into the session with the clips.

Contact me if you’re interested in getting a more customized program put together for you. Or pick and choose any videos that interest you. Use Venmo (@jagzu) or ApplePay.

Individual videos are $15
Choose any three videos for $40
Personal training sessions start at $80
And if you want to purchase packages of training sessions the rate is much lower.

Check out my other Human Movement series:
Greek Alphabet

AVAILABLE VIDEOS
This is the NATO phonetic alphabet series

Alpha is about half an hour of low key yoga. 

Bravo is a spontaneous movement session largely based on freestyle dancing. It is about 18 minutes and moderate intensity. 

Charlie is about an hour long. The first half is a slow paced strength session using held positions and slow muscular transitions. The second half is a seated meditation. 

Delta starts with some free dancing that incorporates gymnastics type movements. In the middle of the session I run twice through my choreography for “Stairway to Heaven” which is the opening song of my “Rockin” Nia routine. Then I go back to spontaneously dancing with gymnastics.

Echo is about twenty minutes and fairly intense. Although my goal was to work through a short interval circuit, I was also simultaneously working on creating a new routine so there are lots of spontaneous dance breaks. I offer this one as a good example of how to have fun with a workout. 

Foxtrot is a beautiful day in the park practicing several of my newest and most challenging Human Movements. I was inventing a “turtle” sequence as well as improving my lizard crawl and bridge rotations. I’m also learning a side supported body balance and a capoeira inspired roll. I do about 18 minutes of focused movement practice. I have no timer and no music so nothing to dictate my pace. The video finishes with sitting for a five minute meditation. 


Golf is completely spontaneous. I am using a playlist sent by a colleague. She is considering using it for a new Nia routine and I wanted to give her some ideas by letting my session be guided by her music selections and the needs and desires of my body in the moment. The result is a fairly vigorous 50 minutes. I didn’t necessarily stick to moves that one would find in a Nia class. I practiced many of the movements I have been exploring and also found several choreography clicks that I would latch onto if I were to turn this playlist into a routine. 


Hotel is about half an hour of playing in the grass. I mostly played with rolling and crawling. I intended to keep it low energy today but there were moments I had to stop and rest. 


India is very gentle with liberal use of a blanket for reducing friction. Starting with squishy movements then into languid movements and developing into a light dance. Focused on moving the joints with slow focused awareness like in the Feldenkrais technique. I have read books and taken some courses and sessions of the work but I don’t know it or teach it. I am simply applying what I know and believe about it to a spontaneous practice loosely based on Nia Five Stages.  

Juliet is about 42 minutes. There’s no structure. It’s all spontaneous. Sometimes I dance and sometimes I’m working on practicing some new moves or positions. The music is high energy but I wasn’t working too hard.

Kilo is a cool down session. I had just taken a very long 90 minute walk and this is what I did to stretch and decompress after all that walking. Very low intensity.

Lima is about half an hour long and split into two parts. First, with the music of Sun City Girls, it’s a spontaneous mobility flow with the focus on flexibility. And at about the halfway point, I switch. Then, to the music of Fleetwood Mac, I’m exploring the possibilities of choreography for a new routine. This is moderate intensity.

Mike is two sessions of spontaneous dancing with six sets of high intensity Tabata protocol intervals in between. It’s a total of about 43 minutes.

November is a low energy exploration of movement styles. It is a good example of a day that I didn’t feel like moving but I did it anyway and felt great afterwards. I promised myself I’d move to five songs and explore a different movement each song. I used mobility, agility, flexibility, balance and strength. It is about 21 minutes.

Oscar is a high energy session using my studio and equipment. Inspired by yoga and gymnastics, I’m spontaneously playing with physical expression. I use a pull-up bar, a step stool, the wall, dumbbells, a small rubber ball and a giant physio-ball.

Papa is a low key, semi structured movement session focusing on practicing a few challenging moves and combinations. I was feeling unmotivated today so I just set the timer for Tabata Intervals and used the twenty second intervals to practice and the ten second intervals for resting and/or stretching. It’s a total of about 31 minutes.

Quebec is about thirty minutes and pretty low intensity. I was playing around with five basic movements: scales, twists, planks, punches and single-leg squats (pistols).

Romeo is about 26 minutes. My intention was to practice some invigorating and relaxing movements but I got swept up in the classic rock music I was playing and ended up dancing quite a bit. Pink Floyd, The Stooges, Queen, The Doors etc.  YouTube blocked the preview video in some countries because I used too much of a Fleetwood Mac song.

Sierra, a thirty minute video, is basically a standard Sivananda yoga sequence. In addition to the typical poses, it includes alternate nostril breathing in the beginning and some surfing inspired movements at the end.

Tango is 55 minutes of spontaneous dance. I’m exploring an updated playlist that is likely to become my next routine. If you’re keeping track, the first exploration of this routine is in the Golf video. I had changed some of the songs around and am still in the experimental stage of creation.

Uniform is a morning mobility session. No pushing or struggling at all. The goal is to loosen, relax and energize in preparation for the day. It’s about 35 minutes total.

Victor is vigorous. It starts with some sun salutations and then, using the Tabata protocol I practiced six movements. Then I stretched and danced it out for a few more songs before I was done. The full video is 53 minutes.

Whiskey is about 50 minutes of dancing. I played a twenty year old playlist and did whatever choreography I could remember. I also explored some spontaneous movement as the mood struck. I ended up very sweaty after this high energy session. I forgot to move the speaker close to the camera so the sound has a distant quality, but the moves for my classic routine “Orbit” are solid.

X-ray is a brief recovery session. It’s 13 minutes of relaxing, stretching and very gently mobilizing on a morning that I find myself waking up feeling stiff and sore. After this session I felt good enough to run and play freely with River in the park 

Yankee is an example of how even when nothing seems to go as planned, just moving around for 43 minutes is its own reward. I had set out to work on some choreography for a routine I’m putting together but nothing came to me today. My dog interrupted me. My mind was not remembering the moves I had planned. And the battery to my speaker ran out before I finished the fifty minutes of music.  


Zulu is about 19 minutes. It starts with a spontaneous warm up and then I use a FitDeck. There is an exercise printed on each card. I choose a card to create my session. The session ends with a basic stretching sequence. . 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Food Purist

Routines From the Vault

Nude Stretching