Healthy Soup for Dinner (and Lunches)

Often, I like to make a big pot of vegetable soup to keep in the refrigerator so I have something quick and easy for lunch during the week.

Today I cut up an onion and sauteed it in coconut oil while I chopped kale, celery, carrots, beet and ginger. I usually just use whatever vegetables I have on hand. Once the onion was cooked, I added the rest of the veggies and stirred it all up. 

Then I added about a teaspoon of Thai Sour Curry Paste, about an 1/8 teaspoon of tamarind paste and two handfuls of blueberries. I also added a can of salt-free garbanzo beans, rinsed.  I stirred that all up and added about a half gallon of water. I brought it to a boil and then let it simmer for about twenty minutes.

Then I put it in a bowl and served it with a handful of pumpkin seeds. I’ll have it tonight for dinner with a mixed green salad with avocado, cucumber and cheese. Yum.

I have plenty left for lunch for the next couple of days and each day I have it, I’ll dress it up with something different. Tomorrow, I might add dulse and sunflower seeds, or I might crumble some goat cheese into it, or serve it over quinoa or rice. It goes great with a big salad and makes a nice full meal.

I try not to cook it very much; just long enough for the vegetables to soften but not turn to mush.

Every time I make a pot, I use a different combination of herbs and spices to keep it interesting. I tend to favor cayenne, cinnamon and turmeric and my favorite herbs are oregano, cilantro and rosemary. Some combinations are favorites of mine and some didn’t work out so well, but I enjoy experimenting.

I tried to take a picture of it, but it didn't come out looking good.  So I'll just let you imagine it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Food Purist

Routines From the Vault

Nude Stretching