From New Mexico to New Mexico, via Texas

First off, when we took our morning walk around the Motel 6 grounds, we passed the peanut man's room.  Who was, I guess, immersed in the last stage of his peanutting process. I think they were drying. It made me wonder why he was making all of these peanuts. I doubt he was going to eat them himself, so I suspected he was going to sell them somewhere. And then I wondered, how many times do we buy something and never even suspect that it was prepared in the parking lot of a Motel 6? Things that make you go, 'hmmmm'!

Today’s drive started out much more beautiful than I expected. The map made it look like I was going to be driving through flat, brown nothingness, but in fact, it was quite stunning. Again, I'm heavy-hearted because I took some nice video but they're stuck in my phone until I can access video editing software for my phone or upgrade my computer so that I can connect them. In the meantime, please enjoy the pictures.


It wasn’t long at all before I actually left New Mexico and found myself back in Texas. I had no idea I was going to be back so soon. Upon entering, 

I saw a sign that says, “Drive Friendly, the Texas Way!” and I have to say, I agree. It is such a nice change of pace after being exposed to the rude impatience of most of the midwest, to be treated with respect by my fellow motorists. And I also find this sign much more welcoming than the ominous, "The Eyes of Texas are Upon You!"

While I'm at it, I have to say, I never understood the motto, "Don't Mess with Texas" until now. I had always interpreted it as a defensive statement, meaning, if you try anything I'm going to kick your butt. But seeing the sign in the context it was intended makes it crystal clear that it's a message about not littering. (ie don't make a mess in Texas).

And not to belabor this point, but I have to mention a sign I saw many times in Idaho that bothered me. It says, "Idaho is too good to litter."  Is it me, or is that really bad English? Unless they're trying to say that the state itself will not litter because it is too good. But I think it's trying to say that "Idaho is too good for you to litter in."  I've gone back and forth on this and I think I've decided that it almost works, but I just don't like it. What do you think?

We passed through Guadalupe Mountains National Park. Well... actually, we passed through the Guadalupe Mountains and passed BY the National Park, which was closed. But the mountains and the surrounding region were spectacular. We stopped for a pee break and I took some video.

Maybe one day you will get to see the video. :(
Once we left Guadalupe Mountains, the terrain got really flat again for a while. And then something very interesting popped up: A salt flat. It was so gorgeous, the salt water was nearly the same light blue as the sky. I don't see many salt flats, and I wasn't expecting to see this one, so it was quite a pleasant surprise.









But about halfway through the trip, the scenery changed dramatically. We headed into El Paso and the wind picked up. So now the smell of cows and dust was whipping around and we were surrounded on all sides by fast food joints and strip clubs.

I was getting hungry just as I passed a Whataburger. I was regretting not having partaken of this Texas mainstay, back when I had that burger at DQ. And seeing as how I was back in Texas today, I thought I had better jump at this opportunity to taste what I’d been missing. 

Meh. I wasn’t impressed. I actually liked the DQ burger better. For one thing, I do NOT like mustard and pickles on my burger. And I really don’t like onions, which I asked not to be included, but they were anyway. Besides that, it wasn’t really hot. It just reminded me of McDonald’s. I’m not a burger connoisseur by any means, but I know what I like and it’s NOT Whataburger.

During the last twenty minutes of our three hour drive was when we passed over the state line again, so now I’m back in New Mexico once again. Las Cruces, to be exact.

In the Motel 6 room, there’s a full on separate room with a full sized refrigerator, sink and stove, so I really don’t want to miss the opportunity to cook up some food for my cooler.  I found a store that sells health-minded food, but it’s still just me and River, so I’m not sure what I can do. 

Luckily, the weather is on my side. Today is only 76 degrees at 3:30 in the afternoon, and it’s cloudy. So I could conceivably go shopping while River waited in the car. Even so, I might wait until it gets a little later and the temperature drops some more. The store is open until 9pm, so I could even wait until after nightfall to do it.

I may take a trip to a local pet store first. River used up his last plastic bag today.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Food Purist

Routines From the Vault

Night Sweats