SQUAT / PLANK Challenge

I was sifting through Facebook last week and came across this anatomical drawing of a person doing a plank exercise with all of the muscled affected in dark red.
It was meant to show how valuable and efficient an exercise it really is.
Which I agree with. I often include planks and/or plank variations in my workouts.

Along with the graphic was written:
The 30 Day Plank Challenge will send your core strength through the roof!
Day 1 - 20 seconds
Day 2 - 20 seconds
Day 3 - 30 seconds
Day 4 - 30 seconds
Day 5 - 40 seconds
Day 6 - REST
Day 7 - 45 seconds
Day 8 - 45 seconds
Day 9 - 60 seconds
Day 10 - 60 seconds
Day 11 - 60 seconds
Day 12 - 90 seconds
Day 13 - REST
Day 14 - 90 seconds
Day 15 - 90 seconds
Day 16 - 120 seconds
Day 17 - 120 seconds
Day 18 - 150 seconds
Day 19 - REST
Day 20 - 150 seconds
Day 21 - 150 seconds
Day 22 - 180 seconds
Day 23 - 180 seconds
Day 24 - 210 seconds
Day 25 - 210 seconds
Day 26 - REST
Day 27 - 240 seconds
Day 28 - 240 seconds
Day 29 - 270 seconds
Day 30 - PLANK FOR AS LONG AS POSSIBLE!!


I was intrigued and impressed. I am aware of the power of gradual progression and also aware that those planks at the end were for longer than I have ever held nor even attempted to hold a plank in my life. In fact, I wasn't even sure I would be able to do it.

So, of course I accepted the challenge anyway. And I even upped the ante by including a squat. I figured the squat would help balance out the program by having a strong focus on the back of the body while the plank focuses more on the front.

I shared the picture and posted this message on my Facebook JAG Healthy Lifestyle page:
This program is simple and doesn't look like much, but by the end of the month, if you're doing those four minute planks, you'll notice that you're incredibly strong. I'm going to start this today. It starts easy, with only 20 seconds and builds quickly. I'm also going to do a squat for the same time period. Feel free to join me.


Day Two
Today was easy, but an important part of the program overall.

I didn't film Day Three, but I was surprised  how much difference it made to add ten seconds. It still wasn't terribly hard, but I was a bit surprised at how much longer it felt.

Day Five
My video camera shut down during the session, but I posted what I got.

Day Six was a day of rest, which I enjoyed. 

I shot this one this morning, Day Seven

As you can hear me say in that last video, everything so far has been pretty easy. The only day that has even felt slightly weird was on Day Three, when we went from 20 to 30 seconds. Other than that, so far it's been smooth sailing and I'm eager for more.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Food Purist

Routines From the Vault

Night Sweats