Riverton to Evanston - Bear River WY State Park

Today is my first day off from teaching since leaving Seattle. The shiny pants that I've been wearing, require hand-washing, so my laundry doesn't accumulate like it did when I was wearing cotton Chubbies shorts for class. But I did a small load of laundry in Riverton before we hit the road for Evanston.

The drive was mostly uneventful. But when I was almost to Evanston a guy at the gas station noticed my license plate and said, "You're a long way from home!" I laughed and said I guess I was. He asked where I was headed and I said, "We're driving all around." Then he warmed, "If you want to see some of the worst snarled up traffic, go on up to Jackson Hole." He explained how everyone was gathering there to watch the eclipse.  I told him I was going to be in the middle of Nebraska for that and he said that was probably a good idea.
The Motel 6 in Evanston is old and tired but still going strong. I've stayed at this one several times.

Once we checked into the motel and rested from the road for a bit, we went out again, in search of Bear River State Park. We found it, and spent an hour frolicking in the park until I got hungry and we headed back to the room to eat.

Wyoming is truly cowboy country. They literally say "howdy" here. A guy said "howdy" to me at the park and then another guy said it as I was walking River through the parking lot.

Already, yesterday's grisly burn on my finger is now appropriately healed enough that I think I can share a picture without grossing you out too much.

It doesn't hurt, but it's still raw and moist. That stash of band-aids that I haven't had the need to use until now really came in handy. But I'll have to ration them, as I have a feeling it will be a few days before this is healed enough to expose.

When this happened before, it was also at the very beginning of a long trip. But the other one was much worse. The leash was more tattered and it was flat. This one today was newer and it is round. Also, I think I let go a lot sooner this time. I learned. It burned for hours afterward and seemed to grow in intensity and come in waves that were excruciating enough to make me cry out.  I also remembered that from before so this time, I ran to the car right away and stuck my hand on some ice until my fingers felt cool.

I'm keeping the wound covered and doing my best to keep it clean and dry. It's a fairly wet and dirty lifestyle I'm living, so it requires a lot of attention and daintily sticking my little finger out to keep it safe and away from any hard lifting or wringing.

I went to bed early and both River and I slept like rocks all through the night.


Popular posts from this blog

Skin Cancer

Food Purist

JAG & River: Road Trip 2019