Pie Crust Proves Flakey


Thursday


The vegetable pie thing I had for lunch was like a quiche without the eggs. It tasted good enough, although without the eggs there was a lot of empty space between the veggies.  I ended up eating what would amount to about three normal sized slices of quiche. So I may have eaten more crust than I intended, but I didn’t over eat. I also had a big bowl of soup. A very typical lunch for me lately, except for the crust, of course.

The real interesting thing is how sleepy I was about an hour later. After I ate, I kept noticing it gradually creep up on me and within an hour and a half, I was literally asleep on a living room chair with River on top of me, snoring.

This could only be due to the crust, but I also suspect that if my body is dealing with inflammation already (from yesterday’s bar), and I throw it another inflammatory item (the crust), it could react by shutting down energy supplies for a while and deals with it. I guess that is a good reason why it’s not a good idea to do a test unless it follows a day of the baseline, friendly diet.

For a while, during the day, I was wondering if maybe the Nia class I did two days ago was partially or fully to blame for the inflammation and the pain in my SI joint. But it was absolutely fine yesterday, and I had practiced Nia the day before. Usually my soreness from exercise is pretty exactly on a 24-hour delay. I know that some people feel residue two days later, but that isn’t typically the case for me.

But then, I did a little bit of Nia practicing today. That’s when my back finally started to feel better. I was moving only gently to reinforce my choreography in my body and take note of places where I didn’t know what to do. I wasn’t seeking a workout of any kind, in fact, I was seeking out healing opportunities in the choreography and also making note of them in the form of pearls I can use later, when teaching. “If they’re good for me, maybe they’ll be good for someone else,” I always say.

I had a known-friendly dinner and finished drinking all of my day’s water by 7:30 pm.

*********************************
Friday

Not surprisingly, I weighed in at 0.6 pounds heavier than yesterday, thanks to the whole wheat crust. My back still hurts a little bit, but it’s less painful than yesterday.

It is clear that my body reacts to wheat, whether in the form of bread or pie crust, and even slightly to rye, in the form of crackers. This is in keeping with the conclusions that I had come to long ago, which was that my body does best on a diet very low in grains and with an emphasis on vegetables, supplemented by meats.

Starting today, I’m going to be going off the strict protocol and letting my diet flow more naturally. It will be interesting to see what happens, what I eat, and how I’m influenced by what I’ve learned and experienced in the past three weeks.

In the future, I do intend to go back to this protocol and do some more food testing, after I’ve given myself a chance to decompress. In the meantime, I’ll be enjoying a life free of writing down or keeping track of what I eat.

I teach and I believe that spending our days keeping track of our carefully planned diet is good for a short-term learning experience, but it’s no way to live a fully realized life. Instead, I suggest exposing yourself to eating in a prescribed, predetermined, healthful style for about three weeks to get yourself into the habit, and then release yourself from the structure and observe what happens.  Some of the healthy habits will likely stick, and some will need reinforcement at a later time.

With just a bit of attention and some concentrated practice, we can get ourselves into the naturally human habit of enjoying healthful eating.  But the key to making it a nourishing endeavor is to make it natural; not forced.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Food Purist

Routines From the Vault

Night Sweats