GUEST BLOGGER - Winter Wellness, Russian Style

Hi.  Today I'm going to post a blog written by Alya Z.  She is a health and fitness afficionado from Russia that I met over the New Years Holiday, and I've asked her to write a little something so that my readers don't always have to read what I have to say.  She and I agree on a great many things so I thought it would be interesting to see what she had to say.  Here is her post:

"Winter is a great season. The nights are longer and humans used to hibernate during the winter, same as animals. The longer the nights the more time you have to sleep, and of course to dream. Right now a lot of food is being grown in warmer climates and brought here. I prefer to eat things grown locally, and in season. All the root vegetables and things like cabbage, onion, squash, pumpkin and so on can store over the winter, as well as nuts, honey, seaweed, certain types of fruit and grains. 

I love nature. It has such a calming effect. Nature is never the same. Russians prefer to heal themselves with natural remedies, instead of harsh chemicals or even operations. All those plants you consider weeds, are actually herbs that can be used to heal.

I noticed that there are a lot of stressors in the US. I like to take hot baths at the end of the day, to let go of mine. For better effect Valerian root can be boiled and added to the hot water, or just regular sea salt which you can get at Whole Foods, or any crafts store, which sells it quite cheap. Another way to do it is to eat 8 ounces of walnuts, 8 ounces of raisins, and 5 ounces of soft yellow cheese like provolone or the like, with high content of fat. That calms down the nervous system as well. And of course we all know the wonders that Yoga can do. But only if practiced mindfully, knowing one's limits."

Thank you, Alya.  These are great tips and I couldn't agree more.

Everyone have a healthy and happy Winter 2011!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Food Purist

Routines From the Vault

Night Sweats